Sunday 25 November 2007

Day 327 - eating the elephant

Question: How do you eat an elephant?

Answer: Piece by piece.

There is a whole world out there that needs changing. Sometimes that can be daunting.

As a general rule, I consider my game around changing the world to begin the minute I wake up with prayers, affirmations and meditations. But practically, I assert one principle throughout my life that will, if practiced every day, do just as much for the human race as Cycle 4 ever will: 'Do unto others as you would have them do to you'.

This was instilled in me by my father, who used to quote Samuel Johnson: 'The true measure of a man is how he treats
someone who can do him absolutely no good.'

And it's still in me today. From the minute I see my paper guy or the milkman, or the rastafarian who smokes large joints and drinks super strength beer on my doorstep, I just love talking to people. It actually takes people aback sometimes - especially when I am in the UK. Everyone here loves being miserable - we're not up to speed as yet with the US's pursuit of happiness.

That kinda stuff - just brightening up someone else's day - ensures a magical ripple effect... As my friend said when we met for dinner on Saturday 'Man! I could smell your stuff the minute I walked in the door!'

I love that small stuff - it's all part of the big change - just tiny contributions to the shift in global consciousness.

But then there's the big stuff.

Whenever I thing about the end result - of a world of literacy, peace, prosperity and equality, I am inspired.

But when I am actually working each day to make change happen, I try not to let my mind wonder from the here and now. Thoughts around the effect are often followed by thoughts of all the work that needs to happen.

And any thoughts of the enormity of the task are completely disempowering.

It's all related to the disease that is western culture. We are addicted to the end result - the destination. The effect. And in order to get there in one piece, we need to enjoy the journey in order to love the destination. We need to love being the cause of that effect... To be the genesis of that eventuality.

Most people's biggest aim in life is retirement. Fact.

And I wish anyone well who is enjoying a retirement that they have worked hard for. But our generation has a greater opportunity. We can create lives we love out of thin air. All the books say the same thing - find what you love doing and pursue it at all costs. That way you never work another day again. You retire from struggle and strife with immediate effect.

This way, retirement is no longer on the agenda - if you love what you do you want to die on the job, no?

So my message is to enjoy being at the source of whatever you are creating - and stop wasting time procrastinating over whether it is possible.

Anything is possible.

Just don't try and eat the elephant all in one go - it ain't gonna happen!

Confucious said: 'A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step'.

Lastly - it's tough finding what you love doing when your working 12 hour days... I didn't find what I loved doing until I took the time out to find myself first...

Take a year out and let your destiny envelope you!

No comments: