Sunday 18 November 2007

Day 326 - take time out to opt in

In January of this year I chose to down tools, step off the treadmill and do exactly what I wanted to do, every day for 1 year.

On my lengthy commute across London, and in the mirrored skyscraper where I worked, the voices in my head would echo the same cliche over and over again:

'This can't be it. Surely there's more to life than this?'

So I hit the pause button, and resolved to ask myself a different question - every morning for the next 365 days:

‘If today was the last day of my life, would I do what I am about to do?’

If the answer was ‘no’, I would do something else.

The results not only had a profound effect on my life, but on the lives of many other people too.

I actually found myself - not many people can say that - and then, SHOCK HORROR! I actually did something worthwhile with my life.

Something that was solely for the benefit of other people - people that needed my help.

I chose to accept whatever came woven in the pattern of my destiny. And I have concluded that if all western professionals did the same thing - took time out to make a significant contribution - to themselves and to those they could help - the world would be in much, much better shape.

In fact, it might just start to resemble a level playing field again.

'I have just taken a year out'.

It feels so good to say that. The results were astounding - and unexpected... I am fitter than I have ever been, financially stable, involved in work that I love doing and I have total autonomy. Life is really as good as it gets.

In fact things are so good, that I am taking another year out. A little freelance work here and there is all. I need less, desire less, accumulate less... and I am thriving on it.

This blog is a campaign for other people to do the same - to Take A Year Out. Not to sit back and do yoga and meditate, or go see the world, or take strolls in the park - although all of these things are a part of taking time out.

But to Take A Year Out to actually get involved in the world - to really opt in and take a stand for something good - for the Truth.

It's not about a groovy sabbatical - it's about changing the world.

No comments: